New Zealand Outdoors Links
Information about the weather:
- NZ Metservice Forecasts, including forecasts for specific mountain and park areas
- Metvuw (alternative forecast charts)
- Department of Conservation Weather Page
- Backcountry Avalanche Advisory, from the New Zealand Avalanche Centre
Key Safety Information
- Department of Conservation (track alerts and contact details for local offices and information centres)
- Register your Intentions and Stay safe. Adventure Smart,the safety hub for the NZ Outdoors
- Familiarise yourself with the outdoor safety code.
- Communication: Mountain Radios, Avalanche Tranceivers, Personal Locator Beacons
Information on outdoor opportunities, including current information can be found here:
- NZ Tramper: online forum – the place to talk about tramping, huts and tracks database, photos
- Find an outdoors club to join.
- Climber: online forum for climbing and New Zealand’s climbing magazine
- Mapspast: online topographical maps, current and past
- ClimbNZ: online database of climbing routes, from the New Zealand Alpine Club
- New Zealand Deerstalkers, the representatives of recreational hunters
- KiwiCanyons: online guide of Canyoning routes and introduction to canyoning community
- Whitewater New Zealand: online forum and database for kayakers
- Rogaining: find out about this adventure navigation sport
- Forest and Bird, Giving Nature a Voice
- Department of Conservation “Discover the Outdoors” webviewer
- Buy New Zealand’s best tramping and climbing guidebooks from the New Zealand Alpine Club
- Subscribe to Wilderness – New Zealand’s magazine of the Outdoors.
- Shop at, and ask for advice at Bivouac Outdoor. 2014/2015 NZ Outdoor Chain Retailer of the Year.
Information on public access can be found here:
- Walking Access Commission, online map service
- Access to East Taupo Lands Trust land adjoining Kaimanawa and Kaweka Forest Parks
- Huts and routes in the Canterbury/Westland region
Information on Volunteering opportunities can be found here:
- Department of Conservation volunteer opportunities
- Discover about the special huts of Westland and the community that takes care of them (Permolat)
- Volunteer with the Kaimai Ridgeway – Auckland trampers promoting tramping in their region.
To recommend additional links to this page please email: email@example.com