The recipients of the 2019 FMC Expedition Scholarships have been announced:
Simon Bell Memorial Expedition Scholarship
- Luca Karjalainen, Otago University Tramping Club, for a trip to the Olivine Ice Plateau and environs.
Youth Expedition Scholarships
- Ben Mangan, Canterbury Mountaineering Club and NZAC Canterbury-Westland, for a trip to the
Gardens of Eden / Allah with the intention to explore new climbing routes on Newton Peak.
- Patrick Marsh, Canterbury University Tramping Club, for a traverse from West Cape to the South Coast Track, Fiordland.
- Sacha Knight, Auckland University Tramping Club, for a traverse from Arthur’s Pass to Mt Cook Village.
- Merlyn Barrer, Nayland College (Nelson), for a bike-walk-kayak west to east Traverse of the Upper South Island.
- Elizabeth Ravn, Individual Supporter, for an off-track, alpine traverse from the Routeburn to the Eglinton with side trips into the Pembroke Wilderness.
- Jamie Macalister, Canterbury Mountaineering Club, for a trip aiming to pioneer new rock-climbing routes on Douglas Spur, Paringa River, Westland.
- Harriett Miller, NZAC Nelson, for a traverse from Whanganui (Kahurangi) to Whataroa.
- Mary Williams, Individual Supporter, for a run of the Rakiura and Te Araroa tracks with emphasis
on promotion on matters pertaining to mental health.
- Beren Goodwin (17yrs), Hutt Valley Tramping Club, for a trip on the Te Araroa track.
Congratulations to all the scholarship recipients on their successful applications. We wish you a summer full of rewarding adventures, and look forward to your trip reports!
Click here to learn more about FMC’s Expedition Scholarships.
Photo at top: Maddy Whittaker, recipient of a 2018 FMC Youth Expedition Scholarship, on the South Island section of the Te Araroa Track.