Editor Peter Laurenson, with a small hard working team, produce ‘Backcountry – the quarterly bulletin of the Federated Mountain Clubs’. Our flagship publication is published four times a year, providing vital links between members and outside agencies. Backcountry forms a rich archive of otherwise unpublished material.
The editorial direction of Backcountry is to provide news, articles and a forum for debate for users of New Zealand’s public lands, especially members of FMC-affiliated clubs.The content of Backcountry is decided by the editor. An executive committee will consider concerns relating to published items. Write to FMC, PO Box 1604 Wellington.
You can read back copies of the magazine here on our website:
The FMC Discount card is distributed with the June issue, and entitles the holder to many discounts, including the DOC Annual Hut Pass.
Contact the Editor
You can contact the editor directly be email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get your copy
There are a number of ways to receive Backcountry.
- Via affiliated clubs. Copies of Backcountry (plus the FMC Discount Card) are provided free to affiliated clubs, which pass them on to their members. (Here’s how to affiliate).
- D2U (“Direct to you”): Members of affiliated clubs may opt to receive their copy of Backcountry and their FMC Discount card directly from FMC, for $20 annually. (Sign up to D2U)
- Supporters of FMC: Individuals and families may become supporters of FMC for an annual fee. Supporters receive Backcountry and the FMC Discount Card. (Become a supporter now)
- Libraries Subscription: A special subscription to Backcountry is available to organisations and libraries for $30 (overseas $40) by contacting our administrator.
- Via FMC for Schools and Tertiary institutions: Copies of Backcountry (plus the FMC Discount Card)are provided to schools or tertiary institutions which become associate members of FMC.
Any queries about distribution, affiliation or subscription should be directed to the FMC Administrator.
Key Dates for 2020
|Issue||Editorial Deadline||Advertising Deadline||Issue to Clubs|
|MARCH||27 January||14 February||Late – March|
|JUNE||13 April||1 May||Mid – June|
|AUGUST||19 June||10 July||Late – August|
|NOVEMBER||14 September||9 October||Mid – November|
Intending contributors should send drafts or discuss their proposals with the editor (email@example.com) well ahead of the editorial deadline. Images should be .tif or .jpeg files between 1-5 Mb. Letters to the editor and brief Noticeboard items may be sent without prior notice at any time before the deadline.